Saturday, September 15, 2012

How To Make A Poster Print Look And Feel Like An Oil Painting

How to make a poster print look and feel like an oil painting by David Squire

Did you know that a simple poster could look and feel just like an hot work of art, without the high cost?

Ever start what a Picasso or Leonardo da Vinci or feasibly a Vincent Van Gogh would look like displayed in your favorite room?

Imagine, with just a few hours, you can own your undoubted own priceless work of art, without the million dollar price tag. And, best of all, you did it yourself.

I ' m utterance about taking your poster or print you in duration own and creating your genuine own masterpiece.

Just think about your hard by cocktails amusement, the looks on your guests ' faces when you proclaim them: No, it ' s not an original; no, I didn ' t hit the lotto; I made it myself.

I ' ve admitted about this process for years and used to wages hundreds of dollars to someone and, when all along I could have just made it myself. It ' s so simple.

With just a few simple steps, you, too, can have your very own work of art.

I ' m not talking about going out and paying thousands of dollars for replica artwork.

Okay, okay. Are you ready to find out how simple this process is? Well, here you go.

I would recommend you practicing first with some poster prints you have or purchasing some on your favorite Web auctions or check some yard sales out. The idea is to start with a print that isn ' t very expensive or even free. This process may be easy, but you do have to practice some.

Let ' s start with the basics here: tools. No, I ' m not talking about wrenches. I ' m talking about artist brushes. You can find them at your local craft store or any number of online art supply stores on the Web. You will need a small variety of sizes. For example, I like starter kits. They come with a variety of sizes and are usually under $10. 00.

Now for the main ingredient. There are a few different compounds you could use. I will share the ones I like the most.

Mod Podge. Yes, you read it right. Mod Podge is a thick glue product that comes in various sheens. I prefer the gloss finish, all will dry clear. Some people like to mix 3 parts brown acrylic paint with the Mod Podge. Just make sure you seal the poster print prior to mixing with acrylic paint. An easy way of sealing is to use Krylon Crystal Clear spray.

Another technique is Canvas Gel used in the same manner as the Mod Podge. Most artist will mix the canvas Gel with their acrylic paints when creating their own master piece; however, for this example, we will just use the Canvas Gel the way it is.

The good thing about both products is they clean up with water and they are very inexpensive. You should be able to get them either on line or at your favorite art supply company for under $10. 00.

Let ' s see. Where are we? We have a cheap poster or print, about $20. 00 in brushes, and Mod Podge. Now what?

When I ' m about to work on a famous artist ' s print, I like to research them to get an idea of what their own technique was that they used. For example, how did they hold their brush and what type of brush strokes did they use, how was the blank canvas arranged, et cetera. Well, you get the idea.

It helps me get in the mood or, should I say, character. For example, just like an actor would do when playing a part in an up and coming blockbuster.

I think we are about ready to get started: We have all of our supplies, we are in character, and we are ready to begin.

I like to work right out of the Mod Podge canister. You may want to pour a little in a disposable bowl. I mention disposable bowl because, after all, we are working with glue.

Remember the artist research we conducted earlier? That will help with the next step.

I like to mimic the artist with like - minded brush strokes. Just dip the brush in your chosen product and start painting over the colors. Remember the Paint By Numbers we did when we were kids? Well, it ' s just like that without all the different colors of paint. Once you ' ve practiced a few times with your inexpensive prints, you can move on to the Picasso.

There are a few more tips I personally like. Cardboard could be used as a backing or, for the brave, try gluing the poster print to some canvas so when you ' re all done, you will have some substance behind your new painting.

Also, once you are completed with your new masterpiece, seal it all up with Krylon Crystal Clear for years of enjoyment. Just a couple of coats will do.

Remember, any new projects has a learning curve so be patient and practice. These techniques are some that I have used and hope you find them helpful.

http: / / astore. amazon. com / supeartw - 20 / search? node=4&keywords=poster + prints&preview=&x=14&y=11